This Turmeric Sweet Potato Sausage In Red Onion Sauce is made of a combination of grass fed mince, pork belly, sweet potato and some turmeric. The sausage is baked in a cup shape and stuffed with cabbage then served in red onion sauce.
If you have grass fed mince and vegetables on a regular basis this recipe is just one way you can enjoy the same usual everyday ingredients just rearranged, cooked and served in a different way. The Tasty Turmeric and Sweet potato grass fed beef and free range pork belly sausage has been shaped and baked in a muffin tray to set in a hollow to fill up with vegetables, instead of the usual sausage shape or meatball. Onions and garlic have been used to make the sauce for this dish. Same usual ingredients just a different arrangement you can use to make the usual mince and vegetable on the side, look a little bit more fancy and tasty too.
4 to 6 servings
TURMERIC SWEET POTATO SAUSAGE
250 g grass fed mince, 2 rashers free range pork belly diced finely, 1 heaped tablespoon grated fresh turmeric(if using ground one about 1/2 a teaspoon ground turmeric), 3 to 4 tablespoons grated sweet potato, salt to season.
Mix all the ingredients and divide into about 6 or less portions. On a non stick muffin baking tray spread out the mix to cover base and sides of muffin cup. This is so the mix bakes and sets in a cup shape you can fill up with vegetables.
Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes at 220 degrees.
GARLIC OIL SAUTEED CABBAGE, CARROT AND ZUCCHINI
1/2 a cabbage, 1 to 2 carrots, 1 zucchini, fresh herbs of choice(i used parsley), 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, 1 to 2 tablespoons oil of choice
Thinly slice the cabbage, shred or slice the carrots, chop or slice zucchini and garlic
In a pan on stove top heat up the oil then add garlic. Saute until it turns brown and then take off the garlic pieces and put them in a seperate plate to use on sauce and serving. Add the vegetables to the garlic infused oil and cook for about 5 mins. More or less depending on how crunchy you like your vegetables.
Add herbs at the end of your cooking. Mix and set aside for serving.
RED ONION SAUCE
3 large red onions(mix up the colors if you like), 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 cup bone broth or any broth of your choice, 1 tablespoon honey, about a 1/4 teaspoon himalayan salt to season(salt is crucial in balancing honey and vinegar taste), browned garlic, herbs(optional)
Slice the onions and cook them in an oil of your choice until they have sweated out their moisture and look wilted. Add browned garlic, herbs, honey and vinegar and transfer the contents to a blender or your food processor. Blend and transfer back to the pan. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add salt in small increaments and taste. When you’re happy with the flavor and balance of tartness from vinegar and sweetness from honey it’s ready for serving.
To serve save come onion rings just after adding vinegar and honey before blending. make sure you salt them. Avocado works well with this dish and a bit of olive oil.
You can just have this sausage loaded with vegetables in it’s cup shape.
Top it with avocado and browned garlic
With just a little bit of the sauce
or with a lot more sauce.
TASTY TURMERIC SWEET POTATO SAUSAGE IN RED ONION SAUCE
- 250 g grass fed mince
- 2 rashers free range pork belly diced
- 1 tablespoon grated turmeric( or 1/2 a teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 4 tablespoons grated sweet potato
- 1/2 cabbage sliced
- 1 or 2 carrots shredded or diced
- 1 zucchini diced or shredded
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic
- herbs of choice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
- RED ONION SAUCE
- 3 red onions(mix up colors if you like)
- browned garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bone broth or any broth of choice
- herbs (optional)
- Avocados for serving
- Mix the sausage mix and divide it into about 6 balls or less
- On a non stick muffin baking tray spread the mix to cover the inner cup shape.
- Bake at 220 degrees in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. While it’s cook vegetables and sauce.
- In oil of choice fry the garlic until it;s brown then set it aside
- Add cabbage, carrots and zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes, more or less depending on how crunchy you like your vegetables. Set aside ready to serve.
- RED ONION SAUCE
- In oil of your choice cook the onions until they have sweated out their moisture.
- Set aside from hot plate and add honey and vinegar, garlic and herbs
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and blend
- Transfer back to pan and add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt in small increaments till you’re happy with the balance between vinegar, honey and salt
- Add vegetables in sausage cups and serve with sauce, avocado and some olive oil.