This Creamy Tomato Sweet Potato Baked Pasta with Roasted Sweet Chili Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds is a very tasty, quick and easy meal. It’s made with Sweet Potato Spirals and baked in a simple onion and tomato sauce, and topped with spicy sunflower and pumpkin seeds. You can make the Chili in the Sunflower seeds as hot as you like or without the heat by using Paprika only. To make this fresh vegetable pasta, you’ll need the following
Sweet Potato Tomato Baked Pasta with Sweet Chili Sunflower Seeds
Sweet Potato spirals, 2 medium tomatoes chopped, 1 Onion or 4 to 6 shallots, diced, a handful of sliced Green vegetables of Choice( asian greens, spinach or kale), 4 to 6 tablespoons coconut milk, Black Pepper, 2 or more or less tablespoons Olive Oil or other oil of choice, Good Salt
Make the Tomato sauce first. Fry the onions in oil for about a minute then add the tomatoes. Cook until all the tomatoes have cooked through and turned to a sauce. Add coconut milk, salt and a bit of black pepper.
Add black pepper to the sweet potatoes and stir fry for just under a minute, in warmed up oil on the stove top. Add sweet potato spirals to baking dishes. You can use individual baking dishes, or just one dish. Individual dishes are a good idea if you’re cooking for people with different tastes for spiciness.
Top with greens, then add the sauce. You can add more black pepper and a bit of oil of your choice.
Bake in a pre heated oven, at 220 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
While it’s baking roast your spicy sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Sweet Chili Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds
1 Cup or more Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds, 1 teaspoon honey/maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 4 tablespoons water, chili(amount of choice) I used half a green and 1/2 a red long chili with very mild heat. You can also use dried chili as well though it may have more heat.
Mix the chili and paprika with 2 tablespoons of water and also mix honey/maple syrup with the other 2 tablespoons of water.
On the stove top, at medium heat, in a pot with a thick base start toasting the sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Keep turning so they toast evenly. When they have turned golden brown, add the water with the chili, and quickly mix, as it dries out. Keep turning and toast for about 1 to 2 minutes so it dries out.
Immediately, add the water with the honey and mix through.
Keep turning for about 2 minutes or a bit longer, if you’re toasting well over more than just a cup of seeds.
Leave them cool down and air. They will get crunchier as they cool.
Serve with your Baked Tomato Pasta, with spring onions and more chili if you like.
Mix it all up and enjoy your tasty Sweet Potato Tomato Baked Pasta with Sweet Chili Sunflower Seeds.
- Sweet potato spirals
- A handful of Greens of choice, sliced
- 2 medium to large tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion or 4 to 6 shallots, diced
- 4 to 6 tablespoons coconut milk
- black pepper
- oil of choice for frying
- SWEET CHILI SUNFLOWER SEEDS
- 1 cup or more, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 or more fresh chili of choice
- 1 teaspoon honey/maple syrup with a bit of salt
- 4 tablespoons water
- Fry the onion for a minute or two in oil of choice.
- Add the tomatoes and let it cook through until it becomes a sauce
- Add salt, pepper and coconut milk and mix, then take it off the heat
- Add black pepper in sweet potato spirals
- Fry in warmed oil for less than a minute and transfer to baking dish
- Top with fresh greens, then add tomato sauce
- You can add black pepper and a bit of oil
- Bake in a pre heated oven for about 20 minutes, at 220 degrees
- SUNFLOWER SEEDS
- Mix paprika and sliced chili with 2 tablespoons of water and mix the honey/maple syrup with the other 2 tablespoons of water
- In a pot at medium heat toast the sunflower and pumpkin seeds until they turn a toasty brown
- Keep turning so they toast evenly
- Once they’ve turned brown add the water with the chili and mix through quickly
- Keep turning and toasting evenly for about 2 minutes
- Add the water with the honey/maple syrup and mix
- Let it toast until it’s all dried out
- After 2 minutes or so take off the heat
- Let it cool and air
- Serve sprinkled on your pasta