To make this tasty Lemon and Herb Marinated Chicken you’ll need to first marinate the chicken for about 4 to 6 hours, then bake it covered for 30 to 35 minutes, and finish off by frying in coconut oil or butter, or any flavorful fat. To make this you will need the following ingredients,
Lemon and Herb Marinated Chicken Recipe
Chicken Leg quarters(or any pieces you can butterfly or cut open and flatten),1 Dried lemon/lime, A handful of Thyme, 1 (more or less) teaspoon Himalayan salt, 2 or 3 tablespoons Olive Oil, 1/2 (half) a cup or a bit more water. You’ll also need for basting, 1/2 a cup chicken broth left from your chicken during baking, 1 or 2 teaspoons honey, 1/2 a lemon juice
To make the marinade, crush the dried lemon/lime, chop the thyme
Add salt, oil and water and mix fully till salt has dissolved in a bowl
Cut the chicken pieces open to the bone and separate flesh from the bone. Leave the bones attached a bit. Bones will give more flavor and nutrients of course during cooking. You can remove the skin like I did or leave it on.
Marinate your chicken covered in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours or even longer.
When you’re ready to cook, Transfer the chicken to a baking dish, cover with foil and bake covered in a pre heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes at 220 degrees.
When it’s done, take it off the the oven and out of the broth that’s come out of baking the chicken. Save half a cup of the broth for basting the chicken during frying, and the rest as Lemon and Herb Chicken stock for other meals.
Mix the broth with honey and a squeeze of lemon juice.
PAN FRYING THE CHICKEN
Using butter or coconut oil, depending on preference and diet protocol, melt about a tablespoon or two of your fat of choice in a pan. Fry the chicken both sides, alternating sides every 1 to 2 minutes, turning it and pouring a bit of the broth at a time over it. 5 to 6 minutes each side should give the chicken a nice brown color and still mantain the soft juiciness on the inside.
You can have this chicken as it is or slice it or shred for a tasty lemon and herb chicken salad
Full of flavor Lemon and Herb Marinated Chicken
- Chicken Leg Quarters Butterflied
- 1 dried Lemon/Lime
- A handful of Thyme
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon himalayan salt
- ½ a cup water
- ½ a cup broth from chicken baking
- 1 or 2 teaspoons honey
- Squeeze of half a lemon juice
- 1 or 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil or fat of choice for pan frying
- To butterfly the chicken cut it through to the bone and flatten it.
- To make the marinade mix, crush the lemon and chop up the thyme and mix it very well in a bowl with salt, olive oil and water
- Marinate the chicken for 4 to 6 hours
- Bake in a baking dish covered in foil in a pre heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes at 220 degrees
- Once the baking is done remove the chicken fro the stock and also save ½ a cup of the stock for basting, and save the rest in the fridge after cooling it for use cooking other meals.
- Mix the half a cup broth with honey and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Heat your fat of choice in a frying pan
- Fry the chicken at medium heat, turning and alternating each side every 1 to 2 minutes, pouring a little bit of the honey broth over it each time.
- Frying 5 to 6 minutes each side should brown the chicken without drying if on the inside.