DIRTY PORK BELLY CAULIFLOWER CHOWDER
This Dirty Cauliflower Pork Belly Chowder is a nutrient dense meal made with bone marrow, broth, pork belly and coconut milk. You can have the chowder as it is or have it with some cauliflower mash as it is very rich. The chowder also has cauliflower in mash form as a thickener. This chowder is cooked in pork belly but if you don’t have any you can use fatty bacon, and add on some more cooking oil.
To make this chowder you’ll need the following ingredients;
4 to 8 bone marrow bones, 2 rashers free range pork belly, 2 cups chopped mushrooms, 150 ml good coconut milk( you can use a bit more if you like it more creamy), 1 cup stock or broth of choice(you can also use water), 3 or 4 cloves diced garlic, 2 tablespoons cauliflower mash, Salt, Any fresh herbs for serving(optional)
Finely chop up the mushrooms and dice the bacon.
You will need about 2 tablespoons cauliflower mash to add to the sauce as a thickener, as well as some extra to serve your chowder with, unless you’re having it as it is or with other food.
SIMPLE CAULIFLOWER MASH
To make the cauliflower mash, simply steam the cauliflower and process to a mash. You can add salt and olive oil or any oil of your choice within your eating protocol.
DIRTY PORK BELLY CAULIFLOWER CHOWDER RECIPE
Start the pork belly off in a hot pan or pot. Add about a tablespoon cooking oil to get it started.
Let it cook till it’s starting to go golden brown and releasing some fat.
Add bone marrow and cover with a lid so steam cooks the bones through. Leave it cook for about 5 minutes .
Turn the bones and let them cook for about 3 minutes with a lid on on the other side.
Take the lid off and add garlic and salt, stir and fry. Add the mushrooms and keep frying.
The mushrooms will start to release water. Be patient and leave it cook till all the water is gone. Draining it will take away some flavors.
Once all the water is gone add the coconut milk, stock or water and 2 tablespoons of cauliflower mash.
Bring to a simmer, Taste, add salt if needed and sprinkle on some fresh herbs ready to serve.
Don’t forget the bones with all that creamy mushroom garlic flavored marrow . Tasty and Healing.
ENJOY THE DIRTY PORK BELLY CAULIFLOWER CHOWDER
- 4 to 8 bone marrow bones
- 2 rashers free range pork belly chopped
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup stock or broth of choice or water
- 2 tablespoons cauliflower mash
- In a hot pan add pork belly with a little oil of choice
- Cook until it has browned and considerable amount of fat to cook in has melted off
- Add bone marrow bones and cover with a lid for 5 minutes so steam will cook bones through.
- Take the lid off and turn the bones. Cover again and cook for a further 3 minutes
- Take the lid away and add garlic and salt. Stir and fry.
- Add mushrooms and continue stir frying
- The mushrooms will release water, let it cook till the water is gone.
- Add coconut milk, stock or water and 2 tablespoons of cauliflower mash
- Bring to a simmer. Taste and season.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs and serve with cauliflower mash or any mash of your choice