The Crispy Black Pepper Chicken With Nutty Spinach combination makes a simple and satisfying and filling meal served with avocado. The meal is low in carbs but high in protein and fats to make it filling. The chicken thighs used in this recipe are first butterflied and fried in butter. Butterflying the chicken thighs makes them quicker and easier to cook through as a thin chicken fillet. The side with the bone is flavored with black pepper and the outer skin side is just tasty buttery crackling skin. The nut butter spinach can be made in larger quantities and served with different meals if you enjoy it. Try the nut butter spinach with a bit of chili added on as well if you like spice.
2 to 4 chicken thighs with skin on, 1 to 2 tablespoons grass fed salted butter, 2 cups cooked spinach, black pepper, 3 to 4 tablespoons nut butter of choice( i used macadamia nut butter), salt
How To Butterfly the Chicken Thighs
Simply face the chicken thighs bone side up and skin side down. Cut the chicken down along the length of the bone and stopping midway or lower without getting too close to the skin side of the chicken. Turn the knife and cut across the middle of the fillet away from the bone and stopping before the fillet is cut away totally. Do the same to the other side of the chicken bone. You should end up with a longer and thinner fillet that will cook quicker.
Season with black pepper on the bone side only
COOKING THE CHICKEN
At medium heat on the stove top, melt and heat up the butter in a pan. Place the chicken skin side down first on the pan. Let it cook until it turns a golden brown. Keep lifting and checking. This should take up to 10 minutes or so. When you’re happy with it turn it over to the other side and cook for about 10 minutes. When it’s done and you want to keep the skin crackly put it on a plate skin side up before serving.
Nut Butter Spinach
Simply steam the spinach with very little water for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add nut butter and mix very well. If it’s too thick just add a bit more water, a tablespoon at a time to your preferred thickness. Bring to a simmer, add salt and cook for about a further minute. Let it cool down before enjoying with your chicken.
Serve your chicken with some avocado. If you eat chili it goes very well with nutty spinach. If you don’t a few radishes will do as well.
Enjoy the Crispy Black Pepper Chicken With Nutty Spinach, buttery crackling chicken skin on the outside with the warm black pepper heat on the inside.
- 2 to 4 Butterflied Chicken thighs with skin on
- 1 tablespoon salted grass fed butter
- black pepper
- 2 cups cooked spinach
- 3 to 4 tablespoons nut butter of choice
- Heat up the pan with butter at medium heat
- Season the inside bone side with black pepper
- Fry skin side down first until golden brown, this should take up to 10 minutes, keep checking
- Flip the chicken to the other side and let it cook for about 10 minute as well
- Cool the chicken skin side up before serving
- To make the nutty spinach steam the spinach in very little water for up to 2 minutes
- Add your nut butter and mix well
- If it’s too runny add more nut butter or let it cook down
- If it’s too thick a a little bit of water a tablespoon at a time till you’re happy with it
- Bring to a simmer and cook for a minute or two
- Serve with chicken, avocados and any other vegetable you like