Cabbage is a very simple, nutritious, affordable and versatile ingredient in cooking. It easily takes up flavors of what ever you mix with it and yet still maintain that cabbage flavor. In this simple dish, red cabbage and red onions are stir fried with balsamic vinegar added on during cooking. The cabbage is served with lamb which is also simply salted and fried as lamb has it’s own natural tasty flavor you don’t want to mess up with too much. Raw crunchy carrots and cucumbers with spring onions are also added to bring on a different texture, flavor and more nutrients to the whole dish.
Balsamic Vinegar Red Cabbage Lamb Spring Onion Bowl Recipe
1/2 a head sliced cabbage , 1 large red or white onion, 2 to 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2oo g or more diced lamb, himalayan salt or any good salt, chopped carrots, chopped fresh or pickled cucumbers or both, spring onions, 2 tablespoons coconut oil or any frying oil of choice.
You can fry the cabbage in two separate pans at the same time or start with the cabbage followed by the meat.
Heat up 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Add the cabbage and onions and salt. Stir fry and add the vinegar 1 tablespoon at a time, turning the cabbage quickly. Once the vinegar cooks away add another tablespoon. I cooked the cabbage in about 4 to 5 minutes. You can cook the cabbage in less time depending on how cooked you like your cabbage.
Place the lamb in a paper towel to blot out any moisture. Add salt to the lamb. Heat up the oil and fry the lamb in a pan. Stir fry continuously to brown evenly. Cook to a crispy brown of your choice without burning it.
Add your cabbage and meat
Top with chopped carrots, cucumbers and sliced spring onions
Simple, tasty, nourishing Balsamic Vinegar Red Cabbage Lamb Spring Onion Bowl that doesn’t break the budget much.
- 1/2 a head sliced red cabbage
- 2 to 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 onion
- 200g or more diced lamb
- 1 Chopped carrot
- 1 chopped cucumber
- sliced spring onions
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or any oil of choice for frying
- Heat up the oil and stir fry the cabbage and onion
- Add salt and the vinegar 1 tablespoon at a time, some in the middle and some towards the end
- This cabbage was cooked in 4 to 5 mins but you can cook in less time if you like it less cooked
- Blot out excess moisture off the lamb with a paper towel and add salt to it
- Heat up the oil and stir fry the lamb to a crispy brown of your choice turning it for even cooking
- Serve up your cabbage topped with lamb,carrots, cucumbers and fresh spring onions